Thursday, December 22, 2011

Recent Additive artwork


 So on the latest things I've been working on I decided to use with watercolor and work in monochromatic tones. I'm including quotes from the Republican candidates and juxtaposing them with the Occupy movement and showing the statistical wealth gaps and poverty numbers inside.  I just rewatched the documentaries Bushes Brain and Outrage to remind myself about specific power plays that were done during the Bush administration.





  As the Iraq war ends and the Afghan war continues I wanted to investigate environmental damage and women's issues in the aftermath of these brutal conflicts. How does the Sharia Law fit into this ? What about voting rights in America that are threatened ? What's the difference between here and there  in terms of women's voices and bodies ?




  The caricatures of the politicians I wanted to re look at Thomas Nasts techniques at inking and create a narrative that keeps the viewer engaged and moving forward. As suggested by my mentor , I'm focusing less on text in certain areas and more on the symbolic imagery. I like the panel narratives because they are making it easy to compartmentalize certain stories and statistics I want to share.

I used my son at age 11 as a connector to my portrait on the scroll two years ago and I ask the questions regarding the generational   impact the war has had on the culture. The lines coming out of his hair lead to boxes the show our commonality beyond the father/son thing.   What information do I want him to know ?  What morals and values will corporate controlled institutions impose on the values I want to raise him with ?
  Drones and computers as the next step in modern warfare. The imperfection of a computer has me thinking about certain Star Trek episodes about the dehumanizing aspects of war when its at the push of a button.

No comments:

Post a Comment